One often asked question is “how is candy made?’, well, here is the answer! Candy is made in a process called crystallization. The candy mixture is boiled till the sugar melts, and then it is cooled, until it hardens. Candy making varies because there are so many different kinds of candies. Taffy is made by boiling a mass of sugar and some kind of butter or vegetable oil and pulling it and then folding over, constantly repeating this cycle until the taffy is airy and soft. How are gummies made? Well, its a combination of gelatin, corn syrup, flavorings and sugar. The liquid is then poured into molds until they have “hardened”.
Well that is all the candies I have covered today, but I hope you have taken away a little knowledge away from this post about candy!
Lemon Meringue pie is not only SUPER easy to make! Its also delicious! Here is what I do:
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1 3/4 cups water
3 eggs, separated
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
Juice of two medium lemons
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 cream of tartar
a splash of vanilla
4 tbsp. of sugar(meringue)
and one pre-baked crust(recipe will follow)
- Combine the sugar,flour and water in the sauce pan, bring the heat to medium-high.
- When the mixture begins to boil, stir well, if needed add 1 Tbsp. of water.
- Take small amounts of the mixture, and stir into the bowl of egg yolks, this is called tempering.
- When about half of the mixture is stirred into the egg yolk, add the egg mixture into the rest of the flour-water mixture in the sauce pan, let cook a little while more, constantly stirring .
- add the butter and mix in well, then add the zest and the lemon juice, pour the mixture into the shell.
- Now, make the meringue! Pre-heat oven to 350′, now add the cream of tartar to the egg whites, and whip till stiff peaks form, then add the 4 tbsp. of sugar and the vanilla.
- Spread the meringue on top of the lemon mixture, and bake 14-15 min.
Pre-bake pie crust
take 1 cup of flour and, using a fork or a food processor, break the butter up till it looks like breadcrumbs in the flour, add about two Tbsp. of ice cold water to the dough and lightly knead. put in fridge for about 10 min. Now, roll it out and lay it in your pie dish. prick with a fork all over the bottom, and bake at 350′ for about 10 min, or until golden brown.